Trofim Bazhenov Icon "Saint Demetrius Rostov" 1759
Safety: cypress Board, solid, without the ark; fastened with two massive oak end mortise keys. C
the back of the Board fragment the wood was chipped and glued, the joint boards with a broken off fragment goes to on the reverse side on the right, on the left edge and ends. On the back of the old chipped wood by top left edge. Top center nail holessmall horizontal wood crack and ring dent from hang yourself devices. The original wood dents on the back top right to the left of the gluing
boards and bottom left. Scuffs and dirt on the back. The cracking of wood in the
the ends of the Board. At the ends and edges of small nail holes from the attachment of the lost
fabric shirt (possibly salary). The icon has traces of different time updates and recently underwent a professional restoration. On the front side of the old inserts with imitation of craquelure in the lower field on the left and in the upper field on the left with a call to the left field restoration tinted insert and a tinted chipped at the edges.
Small ground slanting cracks along the cracks of the Board at the bottom of the right field, in the center
and left. Pronounced craquelure with a raised edge. Severe scuffing and loss
paint layer on the craquelure, sometimes tinted. Reconstruction and registration
painting on the loss on the Saint's beard and below on the clothes. The drawing is also reinforced in places restored (rays of the nimbus, ornaments in the corners and on the vestments, on the crosses of the omophorion, on the
Panagia, etc.). loss of the paint layer over the entire surface, tinted when restorations. In places (vestments, mitre, etc.) the remains of the old darkened coating, not removed during restoration.
In the lower field to the right under the old fragment of the old cover the author's
signed with the date: [Pis]al ousoletstrofim BA[W]enov 1758" year.
Saint Demetrius, Metropolitan of Rostov and Yaroslavl (1651-1709)
an outstanding Church writer and preacher, Daniel Savich Tuptalo was born in the world
in Ukraine, in the village of Makarov on the Lovich River in the family of a Cossack centurion. In 1660, the family moved to Kiev, where St. Demetrius in 1662-1665 studied in Kiev-Mohyla
academies. At the age of 18, he became a monk in the Kiev Cyril monastery, he lived in many monasteries in Ukraine and Western Russia. Around 1677, St. Demetrius he wrote his first essay - "the watered Fleece", which tells about the miracles of the image Mother of God in the Chernihiv Trinity-Elijah monastery. In 1684, he returned to Kiev, where in the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra he accepted the obedience of the Holy chetya-Minei
(a collection Of the lives of saints on all days of the calendar), which he worked on for about 20 years. In
1701 and was appointed Metropolitan of Rostov and Yaroslavl. After death was he was buried in the Rostov Spaso-Yakovlevsky monastery. Incorruptible relics of the Saint they found him in 1752, and five years later he was canonized. Life of St. Demetrius
it was compiled for his canonization by the Rostov Metropolitan Arseniy Matsievich.
Memory is celebrated on October 28/November 10, September 21/ October 4 (finding Moshe) and 23
may/June 5 (in the Cathedral of Rostov and Yaroslavl saints).
The iconography of the Saint was formed on the basis of his lifetime portraits. In
connection with the canonization of St. Nicholas. Demetrius published a large number of engravings in his
images that often served as models for icon painters, as well as the first ones written
icons. Since that time, there have been a significant number of iconographic variants of the image of the Saint, which were consistently repeated in the following time.
The presented icon belongs to the short
the chest version of the iconography and goes back to the image in a silver frame, painted by the artist P. A. Rotary in 1759 and invested by the Empress
Catherine II in the Spaso-Yakovlevsky monastery in
Rostov to cancer SVT. Dimitri Rostovsky (not
preserved, known from old photos). For
the author of the work under review as a sample,
obviously, it was not the image itself that served, but the one made from it Yakov Vasiliev in the same 1759 engraving (Fig. 1).
The artist accurately reproduced all the features
of the original, adding an ornament in the corners and on the oval frame. Exactly repeated miniature images on mitre and Panagia, as well as the image of a halo in the form of radiating from the head of the Holy radiance.
In the author's inscription on the icon presented
the year of its writing is 1758. At the same time, given that the artist used
a sample made in 1759 is clearly an error. Monument correctly date no earlier than 1759.
In addition to the date, the icon has the signature of the iconographer Trofim Bazhenov.
Bazhenovs - a